[Sca-cooks] One of the original fruitcakes has beenadmitted to ;

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Mon Dec 22 19:09:43 PST 2003

At home (i.e. not with me during holiday travel) I have a very late 19th
century home encyclopaedia with a wedding cake recipe that very much looks
like a recipe for fruitcake. I don't recall if it calls for just fruit,
candying the fruit, or using candied fruit. I expect it might be a more
digestible confection than modern commercial varieties. Althought it did
occur to me that one of the banes of modern fruitcakes, that they don't 'go
bad' (any more than they are) would be a boon to a wedding cake being saved
for the first aniversary.

Edouard