[Sca-cooks] One of the original fruitcakes has been admitted to ; -)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 22:09:53 PST 2003

Cailte commented:
> my theory on dislike of fruitcake?   citron...
>
> now a good irish porter cake... THAT's holiday eating.   did a yummy
> one
> this year with guiness, dried apricots and dried figs rather than
> raisings.   reeeeeeeeeeeeeal nice!
What is "Irish Porter" cake? I've never heard of it before. It sounds
like a fruitcake though from your description, although with a
different liquor. I didn't think fruitcake required a specific type of
fruit.

I had Stollen last night at a family pot luck. I remembered that we had
discussed it here on this list. I thought it was rather good, although
I couldn't remember whether it was period or not. I took the
Pommedorry/Meatballs from Curye on Inglysch as my contribution. A
number of people like them but since the store didn't have any
currants, I used just raisins and I added Grains of Paradise as well as
the pepper. And next time I'll use more egg yolks as the two yolks
given in the redaction didn't really cover the 1 lb of meatballs. Oh,
and I added some extra saffron to the yolks.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com