Art or Service? was Re: [Sca-cooks] News from Outlands re Caerthen 12th Night

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 23 07:59:41 PST 2003

>> which brings us to the old conundrum... feasting... art or service?

Filling bellies is a Service.  Don't underestimate the value of this
service, hunger is no joke.  We cannot run the
fighting/dancing/singing/playing machine that is the SCA member without
fuel!

Execution of a feast which delights all the senses is Art.  Several
arts, in fact.

The knowlege of practical bio-chemistry, physiology and physics
necessary to produce the intended results in baking, confectionary and
other food preparation is Science.

People make whole careers of any one of these, or even narrower aspects
thereof.
In the SCA, we who try to excell at all of the above are bold indeed.

Selene Colfox