[Sca-cooks] New toy!

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 08:07:03 PST 2003

>The beast in question is maybe 15 inches across, round, and slightly domed,
>with either ridges and/or raised slits in the surface, and maybe a small
>chimney hole in the center? And a drainage well for liquids?

Basically, yes.  This one does not have a chimney hole in the center and
rather than a drainage well it has that little hole near the base of the
rim, under which you put a small bowl to catch the drippings.  Oh, and no,
not ridges, but conversely, shallow 'gullies'.

>I suspect that, if you buy the concept of "form follows function", these
>utensils are, practically, identical, possibly having evolved from ceramic
>to cast iron to steel, just as many other pots and pans have over the
>centuries.
>
>Ultimately, though, if you find it, it should be quite easy to get the
>proper name. Question: when you say "ceramic", do you mean
>earthenware/clay, or something like non-stick Silverstone? I could see this
>going either way.

I am not a sculpter with clay products so am kind of unsure of the answer.
It appears to be made from white clay rather than corningware or glass.  It
has been glazed with a nicely done mottled colour, rather sea green aqua
mottled with white.

I have been cooking steaks on it mostly so far.
Olwen