[Sca-cooks] Re: plums in plum pudding

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 18:02:58 PST 2003

Here is what the Oxford Companion to Food says in
part about plums and prunes:

PLUM, the fruit of Prunus domestica and other
Prunus ssp.  Other members of the genus include
the apricot, peach, sloe, and cherry.  The
relationship between plums and cherries is
particularly close, the distinction being mainly
one of size.

The word 'plum' has a long history of often
ill-defined use.  In the Middle Ages it seems to
have meant virtually any dried fruit, including
raisins, and this usage underlies names such as
'plum pudding' and 'plum cake'.  Francesca
Greenoak, in her highly readable chapter on the
plum family, discusses this point in relation to
Christmas (plum) pudding, and suggests that
raisins had already supplanted plums before
Little Jack Horner (whose rhyme dates from the
16th Century) 'stuck in this thumb'; so that what
he pulled out was in fact a raisin.

Wild plums of several kinds are common throughout
the temperate parts of the northerhemisphere.
The earliest cultivation of plums, which took
place in China, was of the species P. salicina,
usually called 'Japanese plum' because it first
came to the notice of western botanists in Japan.

It seems likely that P. domestica, the most
important source of modern commercial cultivars,
is indigenous to Central Europe; but the time and
manner of its origin are uncertain.  This plum
does not seem to have been noticed by classical
Greek authors, nor by Roman authors in the
centuries BC.  Pliny the Elder (1st century AD)
commented with surprise that the earlier writer
Cato (for example) had not mentioned plums and
explains that by his own time there was a 'vast
throng' of them; he enumerated a dozen distinct
types.

Records survive which indicate that plums were
cultivated in the gardens of medieval monasteries
in England.  Chaucer refers to a garden with
'ploumes' and 'bulaces'.  The number of varieties
had increased considerably by the time of Gerard
(1633), who mentions having 'three score sorts in
my garden and all strange and rare'.  Two of his
main groups are the common damson and the
'Damascen Plum'.  His account shows that new
varieties were being imported from many European
countries.  Some of the best came from the
Balkans and S. Europe; he praises those in
Moravia in particular ...

PRUNE, the French word for plum, means in English
a dried plum.  The word has been used in English
in this sense since medieval times, although for
several centuries it could also, confusingly,
mean a fresh plum.

Prunes all come from a group of oval,
black-skinned plums.  Their special
characteristics are a very high level of sugar,
which allows them to be sun dried without
fermenting (although nowadays the process is
often speeded by drying machinery) and a 'free'
or easily detached stone, which is uncommon among
plums.  Prunes turn completely black in drying as
a result of enzyme action.  This would be
considered unacceptable in any other fruit, but
is deemed normal in prunes ...

The OCF goes on with comments about Prune d'Agen,
which is French, but does not talk about Italian
prunes whatsoever.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"

=====