[Sca-cooks] Traveling Dysshes

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Dec 27 08:03:17 PST 2003

> In a message dated 12/25/2003 4:22:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> janmcewen at juno.com writes:
>
> <<A friend asked me if I was familiar with the cookbook "Traveling
> Dysshes".  I've heard of it, but that is all that I can remember.  She is
> very interested in authentic period cooking and was thinking of adding it
> to her collection.  She told me that Amazon says that the book contains
> original period recipes and redactions.  She was wondering if it is any
> good, and what period cookbooks it draws from (she doesn't want to
> duplicate if she already has the recipes in her collection).  Can anyone
> help with this?  >>

Don't buy it.  Most of the recipes can be easily obtained elsewhere. The
selection is NOT good for potlucks and travelling, the redactions are
awful-- at one point, a standard cameline recipe is paired with a very
poor redaction for the non-standard cameline original given in Pleyn
Delit. Onion and wine and almond milk sops get turned into a
cream-of-french-onion soup.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church