[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 28 10:08:05 PST 2003

> The first time I saw this was at Thanksgiving dinner at my soon-to-be
> in-law's house.  My M-I-L made the gravy with giblets (which I don't care
> for, opting myself for a nice veloute sort of texture to my gravy) and
then
> added chopped hard boiled eggs.  I was appalled.  I ate some to be nice,
but
> never liked it, although I don't have anything against h.b. eggs.  They
just
> don't belong in my gravy.  She was from south Georgia, and their family
had
> been living in northern Florida for decades (which isn't all that
different
> from south GA, once you get away from the cities).  If I recall correctly
it
> seemed to be sort of clearish, so she may have also used corn starch as a
> thickener.  All very bizarre to me.  It was also the first time I'd ever
> seen anyone stringing celery stalks.  (Using a knife to cut away a small
> section at one end, then pulling along the back to remove the fibers
running
> lenghthwise.  I've done it since to larger, tougher stalks, but even in a
> professional kitchen setting, I'd never seen anyone take the time to do
> this).
> As for skimming fat, the method Adamantius describes of a tall container
in
> the fridge works best and most fool-proof, and it doesn't have to get
> completely cold to have the separation complete.  It only takes a few
> minutes for most poultry drippings to separate.  To get it congealed to be
> able to lift it off cleanly takes a while, but just getting it all on top
> makes removal of the fat pretty easy.
> Christianna

Eggs in giblet gravy (and stringing celery) must indeed be a South GA/North
FL thing.  My grandmother always put the giblets and hard boiled eggs
(albeit usually grated instead of chopped) in gravy at Thanksgiving.  I have
been known to do it myself, on occasion.  It does add a richness that I
like.  I do agree that there are times when a smooth, creamy gravy is
required, but I do love chunky giblet gravy.

Mairi Ceilidh, just 18 miles from the GA border in North Florida