[Sca-cooks] gravy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 17:23:22 PST 2003

Corwyn commented:
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:
> Recently you commented on the Europeans considering gravy to include
> just the drippings and not necessarily creating a roux, where the
> Americans consider a rouz necessary to call it a gravy.
>
> I missed this the first time around.... the first exception I can think
> of to
> test this rule is "Redeye Gravy", made with ham drippings, butter and
> black coffee.
Okay. Good point. I remember talking about this "Redeye Gravy" here
before, but I guess I wasn't paying much attention to its ingredients.
I guess the drippings are from frying some slices of ham? I'd be
surprised there were enough drippings. But then, Adamantius did give
some useful info recently on stretching these and there is the added
butter. What kind of black coffee? Instant? Ground beans? Or are you
talking about already brewed coffee? No flour added? Just grease and
coffee? :-) I guess I'll just have to try this sometime.

> Not period, decidely American though, and in most examples I've
> seen, clear, or clearish.... Any other regonal examples?
Okay, this does further cloud the issue a bit on what exactly a "gravy"
is, and if there are period examples.
Stefan
So, when did they start putting the food on top of the sauces instead
of the other way around?
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com