Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Dec 28 19:59:50 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

>What do you mean by "dishes in themselves"? Is sausage gravy like
>the ham gravy just mentioned in that it doesn't use flour?

So far, I've found three ways to make sausage gravy.

The way I was taught first, is the most difficult to do right. You fry up
your sausage, add the milk, then add the flour to thicken, keeping it at a
very low heat so you don't scorch the milk, until the flour cooks enough to
thicken and lose its raw taste. It makes the whitest gravy, and the
difficulty is preventing the milk from scorching- needs watched and stirred
constantly.

The second was one that I had been aware of, but had thought was an
aberration until I was discussing it with Adamantius. In this one, you cook
the sausage, then remove it from the pan, make a roux with the fat and the
flour, add the milk and the sausage, and heat through. This one makes a much
darker gravy, but should still be in the tan range. Have I got your method
right, A?

My favorite is the easiest. You brown the sausage, and when it's half cooked
(low to medium heat) you add the flour, and stir a bit, until the sausage is
cooked through, Add the milk  (or cream) and heat it all through until it
starts to obviously thicken, and serve over biscuits. This is the easiest,
and makes a very light colored gravy, although not as light as the first
one. It's my favorite, because it's the easiest, and doesn't need to be
watched like a hawk- you can do the rest of your breakfast while it's
cooking until you add the milk, and when you add the milk it's almost done
anyway.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.