[Sca-cooks] gravy

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Dec 28 23:45:00 PST 2003

Sorry, Ranvaig, but that just ain't Red-Eye Gravy.

Grew up in Houston.  Once a year, we'd go visit "Uncle Ray" and "Aunt
Sue" in Sulphur Springs, TX.  (They weren't really related, but close
friends of my parents.)  Ray and Sue lived on a dairy farm.  One of the
highlights of our visit was breakfast:  Sue would make the most
delicious Red-Eye Gravy.  It's made just the way it was described to
Stefan:  Fry bacon or ham-steaks and collect the grease.  Pour a cup of
black coffee into the grease.  Add black pepper.  It's called Red-Eye
because the coffee sits at the bottom and the grease floats on top,
making it look like an "eye" in the bowl.  You stir it up before putting
it on your biscuits or grits.

--Cian
[off to beg for Red-Eye Gravy from SWMBO, aka Seonaid]