[Sca-cooks] crudites

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 29 08:41:54 PST 2003

> >addition to the basic food, and appropriate condiments available, there was
> >always the home-made pickle jars, and a plate of sliced onions, another of
> >sliced tomatoes in season, and at least one, usually two, types of bread as
> >well as the catsup, mustard, salt, pepper, and butter- it was just how you
> >set the table. Unfortunately, I think with our nuclear families, we're now
> >setting nuclear tables- just the food and salt and pepper, maybe butter if
> >we have bread, and leaving it at that.

*giggle* this Yule, I showed up at the ritual meal with a jar of my
homemade pickles (a little soft, but 7 adults got through half a quart
jar of pickle spears, so they can't have been too bad) along with my
assigned foods, on the grounds that it isn't a holiday meal without
pickles.

When I was growing up, my grandparents set the table for most regular
meals with bread, butter, cottage cheese, pickles, chutney, some sort of
leftover salads and veggie dishes, along with whatever the main course
was. In summertime, peeled tomato slices made an appearance at every lunch
and dinner.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church