[Sca-cooks] Dried Beans that WON'T COOK!!!

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 13:14:52 PST 2003

I remember reading that acids will keep beans from softening, so if
one wanted to add wine or a tomato product, they should be added
after the beans are mostly cooked.
So, is there any chance you have some kind of hard water with some
sort of dissolved acid in it (it might not have any special,
identifiable flavor or acid sourness).
You might try adding a small pinch of baking soda to the water, and
see if that helps.

Adamantius

I've had black beans, white beans, pinto beans, and northern beans (all at
different times) that were too old and never got past the crunchy stage.
If you've been cooking them that long, and they are as old as you say they
are, throw them out and start over.

Margaret

No, nothing acid in the water, I used filtered water to cook with anyway.
The only things I've added are an onion, some roasted garlic paste, the ham
bone, S&P,  and some frozen collard greens which are really a slimey mess
now.  I thought about the baking soda.  I'll try that and if it doesn't
work, take Margaret's advice.
Christianna