[Sca-cooks] chestnuts and quinces

leslie.watson at sympatico.ca leslie.watson at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 4 04:02:32 PST 2003

Caridoc web page has some quince recipies

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html

http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/quinces.html

Those a a couple, I can look up more when I get home, I have a lot of recipies for Quinces, not all of them fall within the SCA time period.  There are more references on line, but without a definate SCA time period source sighted I never trust them, unless I know the cook.

for chestnuts
http://www.godecookery.com/begrec/begrec.htm - modern recipies that could be period, read the top bit

Just to start you off, I like chestnuts best roasted, you score the flat side with an x, wrap them in foil and put them in the fire, I am not sure how long till their done, (sorry, have been eating chestnuts this way since I was about 3) You can also do them in a pan on the stove, but the pan has to have holes in the bottom, we have an old frying pan we srilled holes into for this purpose.

Peel them all while they are still warm.  They are sweet and rich and yummy

aibhilin

If we could read the secret history of our enemies,
we should find that in each man's life sorrow and
suffering enough to disarm all hostility

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow