[Sca-cooks] Barberries (was "Just a Feast")

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Feb 5 21:19:13 PST 2003

Akim wrote:
> Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquiflorium) is at least in the same family.  Why
> bother though? Barberries are VERY common all over the US as a popular
> landscaping plant.  You can find them at any nursery and WallieWorld too.
> Really big ones are all over  universities and parks with tonnes of berries.

I very much doubt it's available here in Canada, in the winter.  I chose
to make a substitution of one red, tart-flavoured berry for another,
based on the lack of known availability of the exact thing.  If someone
shows me where I can get real barberries (or Oregon grapes) in Ottawa
within the next 6 weeks at a reasonable price, I'll happily substitute.
Failing that, I'll go with the best I can manage.  And if you don't like
it, then you don't have to eat it.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/