Aftermath [Sca-cooks] Sideboard at Event Tomorrow

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Feb 10 07:12:20 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sue Clemenger" <mooncat at in-tch.com>
> It sounds wonderful and you're insane??? <g>
> --maire
>
> Barbara Benson wrote:
> >
> > Tomorrow is the big day for me. The time has come to succeed or die
(not really) trying.
> ><snippage>
> > What say you all?

So, while I was not in attendance for the majority of the event, I do
want to report what I have seen and heard.  I appeared early to place
entries, then has to help a friend move some stuff.  On my return to
retrieve my A&S entries that evening, no fewer than three people made a
definitive effort to flag me down to tell me how wonderful the food was.

The were able to get plenty of variety, and all of the food was
actually good, not just acceptable.  The kitchen looked cooked in :o),
the staff looked like they had been working, but everything looked in
good repair and the staff still smiling and enjoying the evening.  I
personally enjoyed a taste of some of the morning items:  orange
marmalade was great on the fresh bread (the stuff she cut herself over);
the oatmeal was a great pallet for the preserved figs, marmalade, violet
jam, and other fun stuff.  Dessert in the evening was quince tarts . . .
seems there is no such thing as "par"boiling quinces. . . wither you
boil the bejeezus out of them or don't bother.  They were famously
received after court.

The sideline playing occurred when the pastry cook reveled in actually
making a 'coffin' with coffin paste, followed by the skeletal remains
and all of the funery goods like boats, chalice, Thor's hammer, Celtic
cross, etc.  It was baked, but I know not where it ended up.  Great fun.
 Serena's kitchen appeared well run, turned out satisfying food in
copious amounts, the timing plan she developed kept everything moving
and food out at good times.  She showed herself very competent and
talented that day, I assure you!

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco
(got a 22 of 25 on my mustard research and samples.  Next time I grind
all my own seed to flour!)