[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Chicken Fried Steaks and Cheese Steaks...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Feb 12 20:02:41 PST 2003

...And other mutant thin meat slices, I happened to dip into an old
1930's dietetic text today. Actually a rather amusing book, written,
evidently, in direct response and refutation of the plethora of
pro-vegetarian texts of the period.

It featured a paean to the long-late Dr. J.H. Salisbury, a
mid-to-late 19th-century precursor to Dr. Atkins. Among other things,
he appears to have been one of the early, uncredited discoverers of
Germ Theory, and also did extensive research into low-carbohydrate,
high-protein diets as a means of both weight regulation and treatment
of chronic diseases from asthma to Bright's disease.

His Salisbury Diet (you can see this coming, can't you?) features
copious drafts of hot water and derivatives such as broth, coffee,
and tea, and the most recommended solid food for the early stages of
the diet was a scraped or minced beefsteak, trimmed of all fat and
gristle, formed into a patty shape, and broiled, served with things
like melted butter, mustard, etc. Apparently small quantities of
complex carbs are added to the diet in stages, and this is about 100
years before Atkins...

It was interesting to read about the Salisbury Steak and _not_ see it
immediately ridiculed or reviled, which is what, I suspect, most of
us are used to.

Adamantius