[Sca-cooks] Regional Foods was sandwich names

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 14 08:59:05 PST 2003

All this talk of various USA regional sandwich names
reminds me that I wanted to mention that the Wall Street Journal
had a good article on the current European Union struggle to
keep  names such as Cheddar restricted to only cheeses that
are produced in Cheddar. It was in the 2/13/2003 edition.

That's restricted to subscribers but I went looking and found this
article that details the situation--

"The European Union enforces rights to the names of about
 600 regional foods, ranging from famous products such as Italy's Parma
ham and France's Roquefort cheese to such lesser-known
 items as 10 distinct varieties of Greek table olives.
The list is constantly growing. This month, for example,
 the Roman artichoke, or "carciofi romaneschi," was added.
"Now people will be sure that when they ask for a Roman
 artichoke, that's what they will get," said a satisfied Antonio
 De Amicis, director of the Coldiretti Farmers' Union.
EU negotiators are now trying to extend such protections
 globally through the World Trade Organization, and possibly expand them
into
 other areas.
If they were to completely succeed, no U.S. manufacturer
 would be able to use the names of the 600 products, including the
cheeses
  Parmesan, Grana Padano, Roquefort, provolone, Romano,
 Asiago, Gorgonzola, Fontina or dozens of lesser-known names. Nor could
they call their products Parma ham or balsamic vinegar.

For information on the struggle see:
http://www.sicilianculture.com/news/2002-foodnames.htm

I can see a future where recipes are going to have to call
for a Wisconsin cheese (formerly cheddar) ...

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
The twelve year old came down with the flu yesterday,
so I am behind in reading the list again. We were spending
the weekend at the youth boffer tourney in Minnesota, but
plans have changed. V-Day at home this evening and not on the
road.