[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Recommendations?

Muireann Ni Muirchertaig muireann_ni_m at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 17:36:39 PST 2003

First off, if this has been covered 1,000,000 times, I
apologize in advance, I am new to the list, just tell
me where in the archives to look and I shall toddle
off and do so! :)

My Lord & I are going to be making it to Pennsic this
year for war week (YIPPEEEE!!!!!  First time ever for
him, and first time in years for me) and are trying to
keep from having to hit the super market (or the
Cooper's store... well, except for the choco milk)
while we're there.. Which for most things is okay,
except.. bread.

We've briefly discussed a dutch oven (I know, not
period, but.. better than having to get into our
dragon and drive down the road and go into a
supermarket, and use plastic to buy bread!), but I was
wondering if there were any other options that don't
require serious construction? (a big unglazed flower
pot over a grate kind of thing, or EASY ways to build
a bread oven from generic bricks or SOMETHING)

Are there any recommendations of changes to the
process of bread baking, or changes in the recipe for
cooking over an open flame?  I've never baked without
a twisty knob with numbers on it, so I'm looking for
tips, I know bread, I don't know bread on an open
flame. :)

And yes, I do realize Pennsic is six months away..
We're planning ahead.. :)  It's better than stressing
about grad school applications. :)

 Muireann

=====

*~In Service to the Dream~*