[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's dolmas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 25 21:48:41 PST 2003

Gunthar commented about the vegetarian dolmas he made for his Crown dinner:

>>My MIL is Greek and thought this is not a good idea. soy sauce isn't and
>>shouldn't be used together.
>>
>>Soffya
>
> I put a little soy sauce to substitute for
> murri. I know, not Greek but a couple of
> teaspoons to the mix added the flavor I
> wanted.
>
> There wasn't much, but it was what the dish
> required. Go fig.
Probably. But if soy sauce is not vegetarian I suspect some vegetarians might get upset on philosophical reasons if nothing else.

Why did you wish to use murri, or murri substitute in this dish? Was this just
a matter of a taste you wanted? Or have you found murri as an ingredient in
period (or non-period) dolmas? We have discussed dolmas a little here and I
don't remember murri being mentioned. And I'm always interested in more
information on dolmas, anyway. :-)

I was wondering though, on this dish:

> Grilled Portabellas  (Just salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic
>                       wrapped in aluminum foil and placed on the
>                       grill.)
Is this like that vegetarian psuedo-turkey dish we've talked about, except this is a psuedo-Portabella dish? I don't see any Portabellas

, or even mushrooms listed in the ingredients. Seems more like some of the
garlic dishes we've talked about. :-)

Stefan
----
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com