[Sca-cooks] Quest for Fava Recipit

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 2 07:59:42 PST 2003

That's interesting, I was thinking my earlier adaptation on this recipe was
there.  It's from Daz bouch von guter spize.  Anyway, here yah go.  The
"green" beans in the recipe are probably "fresh" beans.   The date of the
recipe precludes them from being "string" beans.

Bear

Ein spise von bonen

Siude gruene bonen, biz daz sie weich werden.  so nim denne schoen brot und
ein wenic pfeffers, distrunt als vil kumels, mit eizzige und mit biere. mal
daz zu sammen und tu dar zu saffran und seige abe daz sode und guiz dar uf
daz gemalne und saltz ez zu mazzen und laz erwallen in dem condiment und
gibz hin.

A food of beans

Boil green beans, until they are soft.  Take fine bread and a little pepper,
thrice that caraway, with vinegar and with beer. bray them together and add
saffron thereto and drain off the broth, and pour thereto the brayed and
salt it to measure and let it simmer in the condiment and serve it forth.

The adaptation:

2 cups fava beans boiled until soft

1 Tbsp fine bread crumbs
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed caraway seed

2 tsp wine or cider vinegar
1 cup unhopped brown ale

1 pinch of saffron
salt

Mix bread crumbs, pepper and caraway seed in a bowl.
Add the vinegar to the ale, stir, then add the liquid to the dry mixture,
stirring it in.
Crush the saffron into the sauce.

Drain the cooked beans and return them to the pan.
Pour the beer mixture over the beans and heat.
Bring the beans back to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
Salt to taste.
Serve.

The sauce thickens, so reserve a little beer in case it tries to burn.
Hopped beers make this dish bitter.  I prefer to use a honey brown ale.

>I have just persued the Flori-thingie and came up blank. There is a first
for everything!
>I was wondering if anyone has a tasty, period  Fava Bean recipit that does
not involve onions, almond milk or smushing
>the beans.
>Just a shot in the dark. I found canned, pre-cooked Fava beans on sale at
the local Fmrs market and thought they might