[Sca-cooks] Re: Clotted Cream

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 5 14:37:52 PST 2003

I think the key to making clotted cream is not unpasteurized/raw
cream, but rather cream *without stabilizers*.

I buy organic heavy whipping cream for my coffee. (although i am not
attributing any special character other than better taste to the
organic-ness)

First: It has been pasteurized (i.e., it isn't raw), but NOT
ultra-pasteurized. This could also make a difference.

Second: NO added stabilizers - no gums or any of that stuff. Read a
box of cream - you'll see it often has stuff added

Third: The box of heavy whipping cream says to shake before using. In
fact, it separates, and thicker cream works its way to the top.

And over time - just a few days - and in the fridge - the cream
begins to clot and stick on the inside of the box.

It isn't sour, but it's thicker than standard cream cheese. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

Anahita