[Sca-cooks] Food paintings

Thu Feb 6 08:10:42 PST 2003

> >http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/a/aertsen/cook.jpg
> >Are those white carrots in the foreground?
>
> I think they're white beets.  On the top bird on the skewer,
> what is that
> under it's wing?

The white beets I've seen tend to be more rotund.  I'd still go with
parsnips.

I think the patch at the base of the wing is meant to represent an area
where the skin has been cut and the muscle is showing, but the anatomy looks
off.  It would be nice to examine the original.

> >http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/a/aertsen/marketst.jpg
> >Fruits, veggies, waffles, and flatbreads or pancakes?
>
> What are those pointy things under her left arm that look
> like cornbread?
>

> Cindy

It's hard to tell.  I think they may be rolls where you take a square of
dough and turn in two opposing corners to make a pointed loaf.  If so, the
meal is probably semolina based on the color.

The could also be molded batter bread like cornbread or millet cakes.

There is just not enough definition in this particular image to be sure.

Bear