[Sca-cooks] Why no alcohol?

Fri Feb 7 12:32:27 PST 2003

There are four major branchs of Islamic law.  Each of these has differing
views on alcohol.  The least stringent takes the prohibition against wine to
mean specifically alcohol made from grapes.  The most stringent sees it as a
prohibition against all alcohol.  As a large portion of the Islamic
population follows the stringent prohibition, it is generally best to assume
that any Islamic country follows the strict prohibition.

Alcoholic beverages created by simple fermentation predate Islam and were in
use in these countries prior to the rise of Islam, so the idea that other
alcoholic beverages were developed to circumvent the prohibition against
wine is a fallacy.

Bear