Coffee- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Why no alcohol?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 8 11:26:13 PST 2003

>Thanks, Your Grace. Since Mohammad and Muslims are rather post-period for
>me, I'm a little fuzzy on details. I just figure coffee is OOP for me, and
>drink it or not, as I feel inclined.
>
>Got a question for you, though- do we know how it was served in period? I
>mean, beyond the anecdotal evidence of certain tribes chewing on coffee
>beans for extra energy, a la the early meso-Americans/South Americans on
>coca leaves.
>
>When was it roasted? How was it served- boiled into a thick syrup? Sugared
>perhaps? Other spices added? Was there any specific ceremony, time of day or
>relationship to meals involved?
>
>Phlip

I wouldn't be surprised if the information was out there, but since
coffee is post period for me too--and I don't drink it mundanely
anyway--I have never investigated the question. Hattox might be a
place to start. Clearly it was being drunk, not just chewed.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/