[Sca-cooks] Diabetic diet OOP (was: Dinner last night & Valentine's Day)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Feb 9 09:13:46 PST 2003

Someone asked about how to handle suspected diabetes, and Phlip gave
a lot of good advice. I had gestational diabetes with my second
pregnancy, sufficiently mild to be diet-controlled. My advice on that
basis:

Plan ahead more than you usually would. Make sure that the hardboiled
egg or the chunk of cheese is available when you need to eat it--if
you leave planning until you are already feeling limp, you won't eat
right.

Go for sharp flavors rather than sweets: soy sauce, chili pepper,
etc. Healthy food doesn't have to be dull. If you have healthy food
you like, you are more likely to eat it.

Try to make sure that the carbohydrates you do eat are fiber-rich,
things like whole wheat flour or lentils. If you absolutely have to
eat something sweet, eat it in combination with other foods rather
than all by itself.

Thorbjorn said that "healthy foods are not cheap". My experience is
actually the opposite. While eating a meat-heavy diet is more
expensive than a starch-heavy diet, eggs are cheap; veggies are
cheap; and anything that moves you from eating more packaged and
restaurant food toward eating more food you cook yourself saves a lot
of money.

Good luck.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook