[Sca-cooks] Dinner Tonight

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 03:52:58 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Johnna Holloway asked:
>>What's the choice for grab and go foods at your homes?
>>We did grinders last night-- ham and cheese.
>
>What's a "grinder"? Grind up the ingredients, in this case ham and cheese, and
>spread them inside a tortilla? :-)

a.k.a. Hoagies, heroes, sub[marine]s, torpedoes, poor boys, wedges,
"Italian Sandwiches" and probably by any of a plethora of other
regional names. Generally involving a long roll or split long loaf of
bread, this is just a big sandwich.

These are eaten in Europe, too, but usually with a little more
traditional association between the regional name and the filling.
So, for example, the pan bagnat of Southern France is [presumably
almost] always tuna, anchovy, olive, boiled egg, and vegetables, and
[presumably almost] never salami and cheese.

In the US, though, the above sandwiches have evolved to the point
where they can be filled with anything without identity loss.

Adamantius