[Sca-cooks] Grinding mustard seed

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 08:46:33 PST 2003

Nick Sasso wrote:

> ><SNIP> If you are doing a large quantity of these, you might try one of
> the Japanese > mortar and pestles (for a small quantity, this is not a
> good idea as all the mustard
> > gets stuck in the ridges).  > I think most of the other recipes call
> for grinding the mustard dry.
>
> Yeah, most recipes call for 'grinding' seeds with other ingredients, or
> do not mention one way or the other.  So, using staggering logic, I
> assume that since a couple mention to soak the seeds, that the default
> would be dry.  Unless the Goodman mentions soaking as a lesson for the
> accepted means of grinding the seed used be everyone else.  Staggering.
> I'll hunt for a Japanese mortar . . . ideas where to find one to look at
> so I know what I an actually hunting?

The item you seek is called a "suribachi" and I love them.  They come in all
sizes from shot-glass to stock-pot.  The mortar is ceramic with radal ridges
on the entire inside, the pestle (surikogi) is wood and can be bought
separately when you need to replace it.  I saw these for the first time on
"Iron Chef" TV show and had to have a set.
<http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/suribachis.htm>

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net