[Sca-cooks] re: menu copyright?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Feb 12 12:41:39 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
> With EEBO or ProQuest you are operating under license, so the issue
is one
> of contract rather than copyright law.
>
> The basic principle here is they have absolute ownership of a
singular work
> and may set the terms of condition to view, copy or use the
work.<<SNIP>> BTW, as I understand it
> EEBO and ProQuest are actually "access rights management companies,"
who may
> represent the owners or themselves, depending on whether they or
another
> party hold the rights to the original.<SNIP>
>
> Bear

Bear,

This is an intriguing new aspect of that company and their works.  The
first thing I am curious about, and will likely look around for is
whether there is contract violation remedy against me since I hold no
contract with that company or their client-owner.  I'm certain there is
a precedent principal that covers this issue.

Second, are aware of any case law that may cover such.  I'm talking
about off the top of your head; I can do the research myself since I
just upgraded from 33.6 to 56K modem last night . . . HUGE difference.
$10 is nothing to sneeze at for voice/fax/data modem, either.

pacem et bonum
niccolo