[Sca-cooks] Star gazey pie recipe

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Feb 12 15:55:14 PST 2003

At 01:03 PM 2/12/03,Olwen the Odd said something like:
>FOR THE FILLING
>8 fresh sardines, herrings or pilchards, 6inches long or so
>2 small eggs
>1/4 to 1/2 pint clotted cream (I used organic heavy cream)
>small handful green herbs, chopped (I used tarragon and dill)
>8 rashers streaky bacon

Have you noticed how similar this is to the nordic/Finnish pie kalakukko?
That one is fish (we usually use salmon) covered with a layer of ground
pork. You wrap it all in a crust, then bake very slowly for quite a while.
Theirs doesn't have the heads sticking out, but then it is also classified
as a 'travelling food', because it stays good for quite a long while.

Regards,
Maggie