[Sca-cooks] Re: a defination for Philly sandwiches

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Feb 12 16:29:02 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/12/2003 7:12:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kareno at lewistown.net writes:

> Could you give a definitive recipe?  I'm confused . . . . .not a
> sandwich, not a sub-type sandwich,  I'm assuming the Arby rip-off is not
> anywhere near correct;  so what **IS** a pure/classic Philly Cheese steak?

I'm not even sure what the "Arby's rip-off" is, unless you mean those nasty
little round things with the plastic meat and the so-called Cheddar cheese
sauce.
I don't know the exact recipe.  But a proper Philly cheese steak is never
made with a slab o'steak, nor with thin slices of steak, but with,
effectively, chipped, nearly shredded, steak.  The cheese is, I believe,
Mozzarella or a mild provolone, in thin slices melted into the meat before it
gets put on the roll.
Properly, they are served on a long crusty roll.

You can get all sorts of additions, of course; my favorite is with onions and
mushrooms sauteed with the meat.

Despite the evidence here in Central PA, a proper cheesesteak DOES NOT
automatically come with pizza sauce on it.  That is a variant properly known
as a "pizza steak" (which has also been known to include pepperoni).  I
really hate having to order a steak and tell someone "No sauce!"  There
shouldn't be sauce to begin with.

Brangwayna