[Sca-cooks] a defination for Philly sandwiches

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Feb 12 20:28:10 PST 2003

>well acording to a couple of foodtv shows the
>sandwitch is thin sliced boneless rumproast,sliced
>thin and raw.cooked on a grill.the cheese is cheese
>sauce right out of the #10 can.grilled onion if you
>ask.

I think of cooked onions as part of the definition, and I thought the
cheese was real cheese. And hot peppers, although not perhaps
mandatory, are usual. And it is normally served with fries. And I
always have lots of catchup--which makes it even messier.

Restaurants elsewhere in the country claim to have a philly
cheesesteak without knowing what it is. So far as I can tell they
deduce the recipe from the name, and then give you a steak sandwich.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/