[Sca-cooks] pounded meat slices

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 22:09:06 PST 2003

Phlip replied to me with:
> Well, you also have specific cuts of meat to deal with- pork tenderloins,
> for example, are pretty small in diameter, no matter where you take them
> from on the tenderloin. And, sometimes you want a piece that is all the same
> thickness, which chicken breasts are not.

Oh! Yes, that evening out the thickness does make sense as does the size of
particular cuts.

> Even thickness makes for even cooking, too, so you might pound a smaller
> piece of meat thinner and larger if you wanted it as the wrapper for a
> stuffing. Legs of lamb are often pounded for that purpose.

Now this can also be accomplished by "butterflying" the meat, correct? So when
would you use one over the other? And yes, I realize if you start with fairly
thin meat, you won't be able to butterfly it, yet you might still want it
thinner still.

> Lotsa reasons, Stefan- just depends on what you're trying to accomplish ;-)
Okay, so I guess that is part of why I'm asking. To find out why you might want to do this.
And, I don't believe anyone has related any period examples of smashing the meat to flatten it. Yet.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com