[Sca-cooks] Beef help needed ASAP

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 13 16:50:02 PST 2003

Also sprach Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi:
>I'm doing this for the dayboard:
>
>152 To make a good roast
>Take veal or a sirloin of beef, lay it overnight in wine, afterwards stick
>it on a spit. Put it then in a pot. Put good broth therein, onions, wine,
>spices, pepper, ginger and cloves  and let it cook therein. Do not over
>salt it.
>
>What type of beef should I get for this?  Most likely it will be coming from
>a grocery store...
>
>Apollonia

Well, it does specify sirloin, which is a pretty tender cut with a
fine texture (I prefer loin myself...).

But since this is probably ox beef rather than steer beef (I mean, in
the original), and because this seems to be, essentially, a pot
roast, you might get away with a slightly tougher cut, such as bottom
round or rump. Unless you can find sirloin tip roasts which are
small, IIRC, but sometimes quite reasonably priced. Slice as thin as
possible...

Adamantius