[Sca-cooks] a defination for Philly sandwiches

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 13 18:44:47 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I think of cooked onions as part of the definition, and I thought the
> cheese was real cheese. And hot peppers, although not perhaps
> mandatory, are usual. And it is normally served with fries. And I
> always have lots of catchup--which makes it even messier.

Hmmm- I was under the impression that the default was onions and bell
peppers, which is why I never was interested in trying one, but if hot
peppers is the Real Thing (tm) they may be edible....

> Restaurants elsewhere in the country claim to have a philly
> cheesesteak without knowing what it is. So far as I can tell they
> deduce the recipe from the name, and then give you a steak sandwich.
> --
> David/Cariadoc

Might be. I know the little pizza shop next to where we used to live in
Virginia had something very like what y'all have been describing, as far as
the meat, but you ordered whatever else you wanted on it, rather than their
having a default. I used to love them- very tasty after a few weeks of
boarding school food.

Phlip, still amused at the thought of Cariadoc and lotsa ketchup ;-)

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,