[Sca-cooks] needing nuoc cham advice

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Sat Feb 22 20:17:36 PST 2003

Oh thanks a lot Margaret!
I hadn't thought of Google!
Phillipa
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
To: "List, SCA-COOKS" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] needing nuoc cham advice

> Can someone give me advice about what to do if I want to have a totally
vegan sauce and don;t want to use the fish sauce?  Should I just leave it
out, or what should I use to replace the nam pla?
> Thanks!
> Phillipa
>
> nuoc cham is the indispensable sauce of Vietnam's cuisine
>
> 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 3 tablespoons fermented fish sauce (nam pla)*
> 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chili with seeds
>
> For dipping sauce:
> Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl until sugar dissolves. Let stand at
least 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

I found a vegan substitute on the 'net. Google is your friend. :-)

http://yumfood.net/recipes/fishsauce-vg.html

Use the keywords "vegan fish sauce substitute"

I've never tried this recipe, use at your own risk, blah blah blah.

Margaret