[Sca-cooks] Coleworts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 24 04:36:37 PST 2003

All of the domestic cabbages are variants of Brassica oleracea.  They are
basically different morphings of sea kale.

Cabbage usually refers to the head cabbage while colewort refers to kale, a
loose-leaf cabbage.  Cole flower is cauliflower.  And the cole rape is
probably kohlrabi, which is also referred to as turnip cabbage.

As I recall, the cabbages of the Ancient World are to be found in Pliny.

Bear

>Ok, so it's been a long, lazy weekend...
>
>I had gotten frustrated with my inability to find "Herbs and Roots, to
>Boil or to Butter" from Tusser's 500 points of good husbandry, online. So
>I transcribed the whole herb section myself and will put it up on my site
>as soon as I can HTML it.
>
>Anyway, I noticed that he mentions Coleworts and Cabbage in the same list
>(also Navews, Rape and turnips, but that's another question). Hm... I
>said, I thought Coleworts were cabbage. Well, not to Tusser, not in 1571.

<clipped>>