[Sca-cooks] Re: Cock-a-leekie soup reference

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 25 20:04:48 PST 2003

Regarding Cock-a-leekie as a name for a soup
from Scotland containing chicken and leeks,
according to:
Traditional Foods of Britain. An Inventory by
Laura mason and Catherine Brown. 1999

"Leeks are the dominant vegetable in cock-a-leekie,
a Scottish national dish. It is broth made with fowl
and leeks, first developed in the Lowlands. The
earliest known reference is in the Ochtertyre House Book
(c. 1737)." p. 62.

Catherine Brown's own work Scottish Cookery, 1985, 1999,
says:

"Griselle Baillie describes her Cock-a-Leekie as
'Chicken soup with chickens in it..." Griselle's
household books date from 1692-1733.

The earliest recipe according again to Catherine Brown
in A Year in a Scots Kitchen, 1996, is that of Meg Dods
who is the fictional author of The Cook and Housewife's
Manual which was first published in 1826.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Scots served soups or
broths with chickens in them prior to 1600, but it's also
apparently clear that the term itself didn't arise until
at best the late 17th or early 18th centuries.
I don't believe that one can stretch the term back to say
that Mary Queen of Scots was responsible for it.

We know a great deal more about the history of actual Scottish
foods now than we did say 20 or 25 years ago. Catherine Brown
is the lady behind much of that research.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway