[Sca-cooks] 1421

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed Feb 26 22:31:49 PST 2003

Was written:

> Was there any culture that *didn't* get to the Americas before Columbus?

Well as some of my ancestors walked over from the east perhaps I might be
allowed to tally the sea going contenders.

The contestants from the east going west are:

The Egyptians
The Irish
The Norse
The Basques
with an outside possibility of The Greeks sailing past Thul and The
Phoenicians out for tin in the British Isles but getting really blown off
course.

The contestants from the west going east are:

The Chinese
The Japanese
with the possibility of a Polynesian connection.

Well that's my tally, does anyone want to add to it?  What I would like to
see is an ethno-botanical tie in with "new world" foods being found some
where far earlier than they should be.  Failing a culinary connection
perhaps some mitochondrial DNA evidence.

Daniel