[Sca-cooks] Kosher or Not

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 21:26:36 PST 2003

Phillipa replied to my question with:

> OK, here is another site that is very basic about kashrut.
> http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/kosherfaq.htm
>
> See if this explains things better.

Yes, it does. Thank you. I was expecting the forbidden parts to be certain
organs or some such. The only one mentioned at all seems to be liver, but yes
they cover the nerve which you and Adamantius mentioned.

It was also interesting that they said:

>> The Torah names the bird species which are not kosher. Since we are not certain to which birds all of these ancient Hebrew names refer, only birds which traditionally have been eaten are allowed; primarily, domesticated fowl.<<
And yet, the turkey which is a New World bird, is allowed. How did it become traditional, when it could not have been traditional prior to 1492. I assume some simplication somewhere.

So, if I take a pig gene and splice it into a chicken, is the chicken no
longer kosher? Eventually I imagine the experts are going to have to deal with
those kinds of questions.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com