[Sca-cooks] New Years Eve at my house.

Sudden Service #5 sudnserv5 at netway.com
Wed Jan 1 07:41:51 PST 2003

Hej!
    Well here it is new Years Eve, my delayed Christmas Dinner guest have
gone home.  I cooked some of the dishes for the Shakespeare event that I am
going to cook in April, we exchanged gifts & enjoyed each other's
company-but they had to take the kids home & put them in bed (hint to young
folk-never stay up until 4 AM the night before New Years Eve if you have to
get up early.)
    I got:  a DVD player; a digital camera; a collection of old tin & copper
Christmas ornaments; A collection of "Gothic Church Window Christmas
ornaments; a King & a Queen "card" pictures from the 60's; an antique
embossed leather stationary folder & finally a Pampered Chef food chopper
(my
friend is doing some sort of a catalog show for them if anyone needs
anything).
    What I fixed from Dinning With William Shakespeare :

     A Turkish Dish of Meate pg 29, the only variation (for speed) that I
used was to use Steakums instead of getting shaved beef chuck from the
butcher like I would for a feast.  I also did not serve it over toast.  The
dish was well received by my guest, including the 2 kids.

    A Sallet of Boiled Leeks pg 25, was done by the recipe-I really found
this an enjoyable dish, but next time will use a little less sugar than
called for.  One of my guest had a problem with the texture being a little
slimy for her taste.  I also did not serve it over buttered toast (what is
it with the author & buttered toast)

    Stewed Oysters pg 196,  this one I made a major variation of the recipe,
because I wound up not having any white wine vinegar or white wine-so I used
red wine & red wine vinegar.  Very interesting flavors-I was the only one
interested in it though-I guess I should of put it on buttered toast like
the author suggested.

    Potato Pie pg 40, was the hit of the evening with the kids & the adults
enjoyed it too, so much so that there is not that much to share with the
people who show up tomorrow afternoon.  The only real variations I made were
I used a commercial pie crust, apple vinegar instead of white wine vinegar &
used Sugar In The Raw instead of brown sugar.  Just a note for those who
don't know the sweet potato was known in Shakespeare's London.

    I got tired of cooking so instead of making a venison pie I went ahead &
made Smithfield ham steaks for an appetizer (one of my guest is doing the
Atkins diet).  Then used some of the ground venison to make hamburger steaks
that we seasoned with Paul Prudhomme's Cajun seasonings & Lee & Perin's
Worcestershire Sauce.   I also made a sweet potato pie from the Justin
Wilson book.  I also had a nice brie & some Carr's Crackers.

    New Years Day I will continue cooking additional dishes that I thinking
of doing for the feast.  At this point I am planning on trying:
    A Made Dish of Parmysant (a cheese dish) pg 46 Dining with William
Shakespeare
    A Dyschefull of Snowe (a sweet dairy dish mainly whipping cream) pg 44
Dining with William Shakespeare
    Manchet (a kind of bread) pg 37 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Turnips Baked with Cheese (is this a version of armored turnips?) pg 63
Eating Shakespeare
    Almond Tart  pg 125 Eating Shakespeare
    Frittors of Spinage pg 74 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Butter a Colleflowere pg 102 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Stew of Mushrooms pg 136 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Fried Dish of Cheese pg 330 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Cheese Tart pg 147 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Furmenty pg 203 Dining with William Shakespeare  (this one I'll try next
week)
    Baked Venison pg 279 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Ground Beef with Nuts pg 6 Eating Shakespeare
    Onion Soup pg 5 Eating Shakespeare  (this one I'll try next week)
    Venison with Red Currant Sauce pg 83 Eating Shakespeare
    Apple Fritters pg 161 Dining with William Shakespeare  (this one I'll
try next week)
    Sage Fritters pg 170 Dining with William Shakespeare
    Roast Fillet of Beef  pg 101 Dining with William Shakespeare (this one
I'll try next week)
    Chicken Pie with Prunes pg 105 Dining with William Shakespeare (this one
I'll try next week)
    Baked Custard Tart with Raisins pg 145 Dining with William Shakespeare
(this one I'll try next week)
 Pax,
Olaf
who hopes some one shows up to help him eat some of this.