[Sca-cooks] Sorta OT, but important - cats and thread

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Wed Jan 1 12:06:16 PST 2003

Hi all,
I just wanted to share with you something that happened to me yesterday that
I hope never happens to any of you - I almost lost one of my cats.
Gandalf is a mischievous grey two-year-old - who has one very dangerous
habit.  He bites the thread off my sewing machine, and runs away with it.
Annoying but cute, or so I thought.  However, Saturday night he started
throwing up.  Didn't think much of it, he's got a somewhat sensitive
stomach... but he kept doing it.  We took him to the vet yesterday (yes, we
waited longer than we should have, but I tend to think illnesses aren't that
bad, even in myself).  Anyway, when we got to the vet, we found that he had
swallowed string and it wrapped around his tongue... once they did the xrays
we found that it went all the way to his intestines.  Emergency surgery was
performed, and he's now recovering... however, if he hadn't had the surgery,
it would have been fatal.  Please keep an eye on your kitties!

Generys