[Sca-cooks] Late Christmas Gifts! Woo Hoo! - OOP - Long

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 1 23:21:09 PST 2003

Hi,

Selene just got back from Jolly Old England tonight
and she brought loot! Her suitcase weight roughly
around 1000 lbs more than when she left much of
the weight was in books! Lots of books. And most
of them for me! Hee...hee...hee!

I haven't had a chance to peruse them much since
I only got them a couple of hours ago, but I figured
I'd at least share the titles with y'all.

I also got a wonderful reproduction of a salt spoon.
I may just thread it and wear it as a rank badge
instead of scattering salt with it. Very nice.

Okay, here are the books.

"The British Museum Cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-
Johnson. Softcover. 159 pgs. Chapters include:
Ancient Persia, Classical Greece, Imperial Rome,
Medieval Europe, etc... Lotsa recipes.

"Pickled, Potted, and Canned" by Sue Shephard.
Hardcover. 358 pgs. About food preservation
methods throughout the ages. Very neat from
the little I've looked through it.

"The Food & Cooking" series from English Heritage.
Three small books on "Roman Britain" Medieval Britain"
and "16th Century Britain". Softcover. Books average
50 pgs. Jane Renfrew, Maggie Black, and Peter Brears are
various authors. More of a brief description of
the periods with some recipes in the back.

"From a Monastery Kitchen" by Brother Victor-Antoine
d'Avila-Latourrette. Softcover. 128 pgs. A lot of
gorgeous recipes. All vegetarian. Modern but very nice.
Each recipe has an inspirational quote preceeding it.

"The Tudor Kitchens of Hampton Court Palace". No author.
Softcover. 33 pgs. A wonderful detail of the kitchens.
Beautiful photographs. (As a side note. Dear Selene,
for my sake, took so many photographs of the kitchens
that she was finally asked politely to look at the
other wonders of the palace.)

"The Tudor Kitchens Cookery Book of Hampton Court Palace"
by Roz Denny. 32 pgs. Softcover. The same type of book
as the previous one. But listing original recipes and
redactions. Probably the same ones as in "All the Kings
Cooks" but I haven't reviewed them yet. Neat book
and gorgeous photos.

"Dangerous Tastes. The Story of Spices" by Andrew Dalby.
Softcover. 184 pgs. What at first appeared to be a dry
tome about spices and such is very cool on deeper inspection.
The writing is very readible and the subject matter is
far more interesting than I first thought. This is a very
neat book.

She has also taken a ton of photographs on the places she
visited. Including the huge morter & pestle in Hampton Court
as well as details of the fireplace tools. She also has
pictures of Elizabethan garb and jewelry and lots of
Tudor armor and weaponry. I'll send the links when
she gets them set up.

I have major loot!

She's very tired and happy to be home. She was on her
23rd hour of being awake (with a one hour nap) when I
finally put her to bed and went home.

More later. But I'm going to be a very happy reader
for a while.

Gunthar