[Sca-cooks] Re: Cooking Contests

Carolbarke at aol.com Carolbarke at aol.com
Mon Jan 6 20:15:32 PST 2003

Hello.  I'm delurking to relate a tale of long ago.

About 20 years ago, we had a friend who lived in a scholarship house.  The
house had a rotating duty roster.  The shopping chore was separate from the
cooking chore, so the cooks never knew what they would have to work with.
Our friend didn't know much about cooking, so whenever her turn came as cook
of the day, we could count on a phone call.  One afternoon, we got the call
"How do you cook fish?"  We found out, through several rounds of questioning,
that she had whole *frozen* mullet, heads, skins, and all.  Our advice was to
declare it "Pizza Night," and send out for dinner.  She wanted to cook the
fish, though, so we referred her to a friend who grew up on the coast, in
hopes that he could teach her to clean a fish over the phone.  (I don't
remember what she cooked.  May have been a stew of some kind)  We finally
went out and bought her a copy of "The Joy of Cooking."

(For Olwen's benefit) I am in the Barony of the South Downs, though I have
lived in many kingdoms.  When I joined the SCA, I was a member of Atenveldt,
though I lived in Florida.  My husband is the actual cook in the family, I
just enjoy research.

THL Aethelthryth of Acleah