Towels as hot pads (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Safety (now catering gloves))

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Jan 15 13:39:16 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
> >3. do you bring extra pot holders?  a shortage of pot holders and so
on
> >makes for a higher burn hazard.. Alton Brown recomends that you go
to the
> >hardware store and buy welders gloves, but even a little quilted
square of
> >heat resistant stuff helps.
> From: <lilinah at earthlink.net>
> I mostly just use folded kitchen towels at home. I always ask my
> feast helpers to bring their own knives and some pot holders. A few
> have even brought bags of old clean towels, too, for multi-purpose
> use.
>
> Anahita

A friendly tidbit for any who have not experienced the wet towel pan
pickup:

Remember that water, heat and flesh equals cooking.  Water conducts
heat far better than does the towel and air space of a dry towel.  Any
moisture at all will speed the heat transfer through the towel to your
waiting hand . . . a little Cameline sauce will make it all better
though :o)

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco