[Sca-cooks] CHUTNEY

Shannon Malone thegoatinthegarden at lycos.com
Thu Jan 16 14:14:08 PST 2003

This is the chutney we made the first year in our house.  We harvested blackberries from the creek and our neighbor shared her black plum harvest with us.  I don't remember anymore what the yield was -- I wasn't organized enough back then to remember to record that bit of information. I barely got the recipe down!  I do remember that it wasn't much and it was very good.

I'm pretty sure that I used both fresh and powdered ginger because I ran out of fresh and galanga was new to me then so I used it whenever I could.

Blackberry Plum Chutney

6 c. sugar
4 c. good cider vinegar

8 black plums, pitted and cut into chunks
4 supermarket baskets blackberries
1 1/2 tbs. chopped fresh ginger
1 tbs. powdered ginger
3/4 c. diced whole lemon,with peel and withut seeds
Zest of 1 1/2 lemons, finely chopped

In a cheesecloth bag:
   5 big pieces dried galanga
   2 sticks cinnamon
   30 whole cloves
   3/4 tsp. coriander seeds
   3 or more dried chilis

Combine the vinegar and sugar and bring it to a boil before adding the spice bag and everything else.  Simmer it until it tastes good, fish out the spice bag, and seal it in sterile jars.

Shannon/Meadhbh

---
info at thegoatinthegarden.com
http://www.thegoatinthegarden.com