[Sca-cooks] OT Cat help, please

spynnere at juno.com spynnere at juno.com
Tue Jan 21 12:51:00 PST 2003

   Firstly, my apologies to those of you who receive this message more
than once!

     My Dad passed away at the end of May in 2002.  He left 2 cats
(amongst other things!).  They are lovely, sweet male (fixed) declawed
housecats, but they are both rather mature (both are between 8-12 years).
 I fear that they are not going to be considered adoptable because of
their age, and in the case of the orange striped cat--his weight. There
is one no-kill shelter here, and when I called about placing the cats,
they were not willing to take such old cats (and one overweight)
especially since Dad had not made any kind of provision for his cats with
this shelter prior to his death.

    I would take them in a heartbeat, but for two things: *my* cat, who
came home when I did, is not happy with them, and when I return to my
life (I was home looking after Dad) I will be renting, and 3 cats (plus
my dog) would make it difficult for me to find a place to live.

    As I said, the cats are both male, and fixed (I suppose they might
think themselves broken). They are litter trained.  They are declawed
(Dad's decision--mine has all hers, and it gives her a really unfair
advantage!!)  They are larger than my cat, who weighs 11-12 lbs, and is
in proportion to her size.  One cat is grey with the faintest darker grey
stripes.  He is the more reserved of the cats.

    The orange cat is the *heavy* one, and is more outgoing.  I can pick
up the orange cat with ease--he doesn't like it, but he doesn't
fight--but the grey cat does not like being picked up.  Neither cat is a
'lap' cat, but both will curl up on the bed at night.  They are both
lovely critters, friendly to adults, and skittish of kids.  They get
along well with each other, and the dislike my cat feels for them is all
on her side--I think if she didn't care, they wouldn't care.

   There was a dog in the house until he passed away, and my dog has been
home with me for the last 3 years, so they are familiar with dogs and
'truce-able'.  Right now I am in south central PA (US) and I was hoping
someone from the southeast of the East Kingdom, the southeast of
Aethelmarc, or northern Atlantia might be looking for a cat.  I have
grown to enjoy these cats greatly in the 3 years I looked after them (as
well as Dad) and I hope there are people looking for a cat right now who
might be willing to consider them!
My e-mail addy is:  spynnere at juno.com and if you could reply to me
directly I would appreciate it.

   Thank you for taking the time to read this off topic post as well as
your forbearance if you're too far away (or not a cat aficionado!!).   I
chose to write to these lists, as I know they are more receptive to off
topic posts, and that as a cat lover, I am in good company!

   Elizabeth