[Sca-cooks] FW: [nz_join_lochac] Fires update

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Tue Jan 21 16:55:06 PST 2003

Today was a day of good news for Politarchopolis.  The winds weren't as
strong as expected and the immediate threat is over for today.  We can't
be complacent as the fires that are of concern are still burning, but
hopefully there will be a continuation of cooler weather and reasonable
winds.

Much of Canberra now has power and water: 2000 people still don't have
phones, 5500 still don't have electricity or gas but should have it
within the next 48 hours. Everyone now has access to drinkable water.

The outlook for the upcoming weekend is not encouraging though, so we
have to remain vigilant. In some ways we are hoping for rain, and in
other ways we dread it, as it could bring a raft of potential problems
with drinking water. In areas close by, the fire threat is still very
real; Yass remains at risk with fires on multiple fronts and limited
numbers of fighters to control them.

I think for many of us, the troubles of the outside world are just
starting to return to our lives; we have had 4 days where the only news
that we took notice of was the fire reports and weather forecasts. The
international worries now come crowding back, although viewed now with a
slightly different perspective - we feel much more understanding of what
living under seige is like.  We are all a little shell-shocked, even
those whose homes haven't been in much danger.

Thanks for your help and support.  Thank you to those who contacted me
when they have heard from people not yet on my 'safe' list. Thanks too
to those who passed my emails on to other lists and people that wanted
to know what was going on. Much to my surprise I discovered my email of
yesterday on the ABC news website - my musings nothing compared to the
other tales on the site from people living through this terrible time.
http://abc.net.au/news/indepth/featureitems/s766029.htm <http://abc.net.au/news/indepth/featureitems/s766029.htm>

You probably won't hear much from me tomorrow... hopefully you won't
need to.  I am going to use tomorrow to consolidate my list of safe
people and maybe try and get a bit of a phone tree going so that if
things should worsen again we can pass the word on quickly.

Kiriel
Kiriel at cybergal.com

Donations to the Canberra Bushfire Recovery Appeal can be made at any
branch of the Commonwealth Bank, the National Australia Bank, ACTAB
agencies, and Canberra Connect Shopfronts. Arrangements for Telephone
and Internet donations will be available later this week.

Cheques should be made payable to "Canberra Bush Fire Recovery Appeal"
and mailed to Commonwealth Bank of Australia, 48 Martin Place, Sydney
NSW 2000 or handed in to any Branch of the Commonwealth Bank or at a
Canberra Connect Shopfront.

People can apply for funding from the appeal by writing to:

Secretariat
The Canberra Busfire Recovery Appeal
GPO Box 158
Canberra City ACT 2601