[Sca-cooks] Updating the SCA Cookbook List

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 23 16:57:35 PST 2003

Someone mentioned to me last month that they
were interested in knowing about early SCA cookbooks.
She was talking about and interested in those
that were written by members of the SCA and sold
at SCA events. (Not Pleyn Delit or Fabulous Feasts)

I have several that I have bought through the years which
I could mention to her. I also checked
 out the Florilegium where
Stefan has a file  on the
topic. cookbooks-SCA-msg - 9/29/00

Cookbooks and cooking periodicals written by people in the SCA.

I read through this file and noted that there are lots of titles
that are missing. Both older publications and new ones aren't listed.
 Also cookery newsletters like Ye Medieval Spread and Countess Alys'
Confectioner's Newsletter aren't listed either.

It seems to me that it would be a worthwhile project for list members
to spend some time and contribute any and all titles that they have with
as much information as they can provide, so that we can have a more
accurate
list of who in the SCA published a cookbook and when.
 The out of print limited edition titles are going to the hardest to
come across and that's why a list would be very helpful. I don't care
if they used Aresty for documentation or adapted everything for use in
fondue pots. If it was published and sold within the SCA, then it would
be
nice to at least remember and note the title.
It's part of our culinary history afterall.

I don't suppose that Stefan will turn down more information
for his files, especially if we can provide him with titles that he
doesn't
cover from those long ago days when the SCA was much younger.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway