[Sca-cooks] Apples and turnips

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jan 1 10:46:06 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Phlip wrote:

> Avraham and Iare discussing the Tavern feast, and one of the things we
> want
> to do is go with the seasons. With that in mind, I was thinking that
> possibly an apple and turnip recipe might be a good side dish, using
> up the
> last of the stored foods, along with using some of the newly grown
> foods.
> Unfortunately, I haven't found this combination documentable anywhere,
> and I
> was wondering if anyone else might be aware of a recipe of this nature?
>
> While we're basicly working out of Sabina, I was thinking that we
> might be
> able to produce this as an exotic treat from wherever. I've already
> been in
> the Florilegium- packed a lunch- and found one using apple cider to
> stew the
> turnips in, but since there was no documentation for it, that's out
> unless
> someone knows where it derived from.
>
> Any suggestions, anybody?

There's a recipe in TFCCB (given below) called "Rapeye" witch contains
apples but not turnips.  The name of the dish might have caused some
confusion or been mistranslated, or there may be other versions of the
recipe which do contain turnips et al.

From:  "Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books", HARLEIAN MS. 279 (ab.
1430), & HARL. MS. 4016 (ab. 1450)

Rapeye. Take almaundys, an draw a gode mylke ther-of, and take Datys an
mynce hem smal, an put ther-on y-now; take Raw Appelys, an pare hem and
stampe hem, an drawe hem vppe with wyne, or with draf of Almaundys, or
bothe; than caste pouder of Gyngere, Canel, Maces, Clowes, & caste
ther-on Sugre y-now; than take a quantyte of flowre of Rys, an throwe
ther-on, & make it chargeaunt, an coloure it wyth Safroun, an with
Saunderys, an serue forth; an strawe Canel a-boue.

- Doc