[Sca-cooks] Apples and turnips

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 2 14:56:14 PST 2003

>  Johnnae llyn Lewis said:
> >>  > I found this one and it's even German--
> >>  >
> >>  > 35. Ein agraz (An agraz )
> >>  >     Nim holtze epfele und peterlin und bezzin. und stoz ez zu sammene
> >>  >  und drucke uz. daz die petersilie ein wenic zuvar. daz heizzet auch
> >>  > agraz.
> >>  >     Take wood apples and parsley and turnips and pound it together and
> >>  > press it out, that the parsley colors a little. That is also called Agraz.
> >>  >
> >>  > Ein Buch von guter spise
> >>  > copyright 1993 Alia Atlas
> >>  >
> >>  > http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/recipes.html#recipe35
Stefan asked--
> >>  Okay, but what do you do with this appple/parsley/turnip paste? Do you
> >>  eat it raw? Or cook it like a fritter? Or stew it?
Avraham said--
 to which "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:
> Maybe a relish of sorts. FWIW, the Melitta Weiss Adamson translation
> says you use crabapples (which would account for the name, rough
> cognate of the Italian "agresto", or verjuice) and beets.
> > Adamantius, certified party pooper
-------------
I actually noticed that when I checked the Adamson translation later
after posting.
She translates this one as:
"Take crab apples, parsley, beet-root, mash everything..." instead of
"wood apples, parsley and turnips" as Alia Atlas does.
 What I found interesting is that Adamson does not index any of these
recipes as containing "turnips". This number 35 is also the only one
that
contains "beet root" listed in the index. Perhaps Gwencat has translated
something
with apples and turnips from the 16th century?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway